Over the last 12 months, EA has been conducting a comprehensive review of the ECO Certification program to simplify the application process and ensure our criteria accurately reflects current global best practice standards for sustainable, minimal impact tourism. Routine reviews of the criteria are vital for maintaining the integrity of our programs.
The review is in its final stages of completion and implementation of the revised criteria will commence in coming months. You can expect to see:
- changes in how guidance has been integrated into the application process,
- stronger criteria around minimising the carbon footprint of your business as well as access to simple online carbon measurement tools,
- more inclusive criteria around accessibility,
- better integration of expectations for GBRMPA’s high standard tourism operator program,
- general updates on industry standards, and
- a more logical criteria framework that facilitates planning and business development.
New and current applicants can expect to have access to the reviewed ECO Certification program by end March 2019. Current certified operators are expected to be rolled over to the revised program alongside the implementation of our new online certification portal, planned for launch from mid-2019, and with help through our routine audit processes.
No action is required by current certified operators at this time, and further information will be circulated as we progress closer to launch.
For more information, contact our Operations Manager Emily Ellis on 07 3256 6777 or [email protected].